Friday, June 11, 2010

Exhibition on the creek

Along the Merri Creek is the first 'Geodesia' series as a result of my Masters course in Public Art. During my research on the site, I was pleased to learn the indigenous grasses growing along the banks of Merri were used traditionally for basket weaving. In my desires to making art derived from nature I pursued this technique and ancient form of art.


On May 16 2010 was the opening of grass woven sculptures displayed on Merri Creek in East Brunswick near CERES Environmental Park. During the hours of 1 - 4pm I showed friends, guests and public where my work is presented. A tour along the path talking about the weaves and the different plants and grasses relating to each other specifically on geometries and growth patterns in plants. Every aspect of the tour had a consequential message and symbolism. Other fragments also brought awareness of the site's cultural background, species, habitats and art impacting on the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment